Membership in the Boy Scouts of America is for a period of one year, and each year we go through a process to renew the membership of not only the unit (Pack, Troop, Crew, Ship or Post) with the Chartered Organization but also each youth member and adult leader. This process is called rechartering. Please click on the below links to access the Internet Rechartering User Guide and instructional videos to assist you with any questions you may have while processing your Charter Renewal.
What You Need to Recharter
- The unit's committee chair, charter rep, or unit leader should login into their my.scouting.org or scoutbook.com account to start the recharter process.
- Follow the step by step instructions- Internet Recharter Instructional Material
- Training- Make sure all your adults are trained in their specific position. All adults must have youth protection training. Adults without training can delay the posting of the charter https://www.jerseyshorescouts.org/training
- Applications- All new youth and adults that are being added to the unit must have a completed application. Youth Applications must be signed up by the unit leader or designee. Adult applications must be signed by the charter representative. All new adults must sign the new background disclosure form found here. Missing applications or signatures will delay your recharter being posted.
- A record of all updates to your unit roster — youth and adults — since your last recharter.
- A current Journey to Excellence scorecard for your unit’s program type (ie Pack. Troop, Crew, etc). Find updated JTE scorecards here.
- Check your unit’s BeAScout.org pin to ensure all contact info is up-to-date. Find more information about Online Registration for Unit Leaders here.
- Contact information for your District Executive or Commissioner in case you have questions.
- Payment: Make sure to collect the correct amount per adult and per youth for your unit. If your unit pays online there is a 3% service charge. To avoid this fee you can pay the Jersey Shore Council directly with a check. You should also reference the payment summary sheet for your unit type listed below.
Steps to follow when processing your recharter are:
Ensure that the currently registered unit Key 3 leaders are correct in My.Scouting so they can e-approve member and charter renewals. This is essential and must be done as soon as possible since changes at this step can delay the subsequent steps.
- Check that all youth and adults are currently registered with the unit appear on your roster in my.scouting.org.
- Complete and approve the on-line Unit Recharter process. This can be found by logging into your my.scouting account/bsaweblinks/InternetAdvancement2.0.
- Applications for any new adults must be uploaded into the charter renewal as well as their Youth Protection Training Certificate and Criminal Background Check Authorization. This includes any adult who is moving from a Tiger Parent or Lion Parent into a leadership position and those who have turned 18 and are moving from a youth position to an Assistant Scoutmaster position or that is being entered as a UP, VP or EP (Unit Participant, Venturing Participant or Exploring Participant). You will need to enter any adult who is on the charter as an AP or LP and moving into a leadership position or a youth moving into a new leadership position or into a UP/VP or EP as New Adult and upload all required documents.
- Applications for any new youth must be uploaded into the charter renewal.
- Confirm that all required information has been completed on the adult and youth applications before uploading the documents.
- Note: A unit’s rechartering application cannot be approved by the National Service Center until all steps are complete.
The Key 3 leaders will receive an email for a final digital approval signature. This must be completed in order to finalize the Charter Renewal. Once you have the final approval you should receive an email with the final roster. Print out the final roster and bring it in with the payment.
DO NOT PAY ONLINE. Once you pay online we can’t make any changes to the charter and have to Post the charter as is.
To ensure a timely process of your Charter Renewal, be sure your CURRENT key leadership (including the COR and IH) have established their My.Scouting accounts and are ready to make approvals of new members and the charter renewal application. This message is only being sent to the unit Key 3 listed in My.Scouting If your Scouting role has changed, please forward this message to the person who now has your former role.
Your Unit Commissioner, District Commissioner, and District Executive are great resources to help you through this process.