NYLT is the most advanced youth leadership training program. It is six days packed with fun and learning with the goal of building leadership skills that can be put to immediate use by our youth in their home units, school and used in the daily lives.
Based on a course outline supplied by the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America and delivered by an outstanding, youth-led staff, NYLT is designed to continue the leadership training started at the Unit level. It is meant to support and enhance the guidance and mentoring of the Scoutmaster or Crew Advisor, while pointing young men and women toward a higher level of achievement in Scouting and in life.
NYLT integrates the best of modern business leadership concepts with the traditional strengths of the Scouting experience. It centers on the concepts of what a leader must BE, what a leader must KNOW, and what a leader must DO.
Many of the key course concepts in the course are represented as mnemonics, or easy-to-remember phrases. These include:
- Vision—Goals—Planning: Creating a positive future success
- SMART goals: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Timely
- Planning and Problem-solving Tool: What, How, When, Who
- SSC Assessment Tool: Start, Stop, Continue
- Teaching EDGE: Explain, Demonstrate, Guide, Enable
- Stages of Team Development: Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing
- Leading EDGE: Explain, Demonstrate, Guide, Enable
- Conflict Resolution Tool: EAR – Express, Address, Resolve
- Making Ethical Decisions: Right vs. Wrong, Right vs. Right, Trivial
- Communication: MaSeR – Message, Sender, Receiver
- Valuing People: ROPE – Reach out, Organize, Practice, Experience
Who Should Attend?
Boy Scouts age 13 to 17 as of the start of the course who have earned the First Class rank (with Scoutmaster’s recommendation).
Venture Scouts age 14-20, male and female as of the start of the course (with Crew Advisor’s recommendation).
When, Where and How?
2 Weekend Course at Citta Scout Reservation
March 22-24, 2019
March 29-31, 2019
$ if paid by February $ until February
Registration will close on or sooner if course fills to capacity.
2019 NYLT March 22, 2019 to March 24