Update from Scout Executive
July 26, 2023
Dear Jersey Shore Council Scouting Family,
You may be aware that the Executive Committee of the National Council, Boy Scouts of America voted to increase certain youth registration and other fees. Effective August 1, 2023, the National Council registration fees are as follows:
- $80 for youth in Cubs, Scouts, Venturing & Sea Scouts ($5.00 increase)
- $50 for youth in Exploring & Adult volunteers ($5.00 increase)
- $60 for all registered adult volunteers in unit/non unit positions ($15.00 increase)
- $25 for all Merit Badge Counselors who are not already registered volunteers
- $25 one-time “New Youth Application fee (unchanged)
- $100 for Unit Charter Renewal Fee ($25.00 increase)
- $15 for Scout’s Life Magazine Subscription ($3.00 increase)
These fees are sent directly to National BSA & are not used to support local programs. Additionally, National BSA has announced it will no longer prorate fees for new members starting August 1, 2023. Attached please find a Frequently asked Questions Sheet which explains more about National BSA Fees.
Regarding Council Program Fees. In 2021 our Council Executive Board (upon the recommendation of a volunteer task force) approved increasing the Council Program Fee to bring it in line with National BSA Guidelines. The task force recommended phasing the increase in over a 3-year period to have the least impact on our families. This is the final year of that planned increase. As such the Jersey Shore Council Program Fee will increase (by $9.00) to $75.00 effective August 1, 2023.
In addition to covering local insurance costs (e.g. Accident & Sickness Insurance) the Council Program Fee goes towards providing a wide array of Council Services & Support including, but not limited to:
- 20% is invested directly at the Joesph A. Citta Scout Reservation, providing in some cases upgraded facilities (e.g. air conditioning & flushing toilets), or program elements such as paddleboard & inflatable obstacle courses.
- Free Basic Leader Trainings for all program positions
- Free Eagle Scout, Summit & Quartermaster Award Kits for qualifying members
- Free tent campsite camping for Scout Units at the Citta Scout Reservation
- Free signature events such as the University of Scouting & Program Extravaganza
- Creation of a Specific Assistance Fund for families in need of financial assistance.
We understand that times are challenging for many, and our Board is doing everything in their power to keep costs to a minimum. We believe however, your child’s participation in Scouting is one of the best investments you can make for their future. Should you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us at JerseyShoreCouncil@Scouting.org, and thank you for your support.